RCA Radiola 60

Oh boy,I guess I will never learn to leave good enough alone.Got this RCA from e-bay a few months ago,pulled the chassis,and looked the insides over,nothing had been changed,so decided to give it a go.The tubes had been checked in 1937 by a radio shop,tags still on them.Hooked up my RCA 103 speaker and switched it on.It started playing perfect.
Well like I said,I should have known better,I played it for more than a week,for 6 0r 8 hours a day,checking it pretty often,and feeling the trans.no problem.
Then,after one session I opened the lid and heard the awful sound of bacon frying,no smoke,but a bad smell.After letting it cool down a day or so,switched it on,It played about 45 minutes,the trans.started to heat up again.I know this is long,but will get to the question shortly.Well I had to pull it out again(my wife and I,takes four hands)
to see the damage.The tar had drained out enough to cover all the wires on the bottom of the trans.
So if I remove the trans. to replace,how do I remove the tar,with out damaging the wiring?Or do I just play it for 30 or 40 minutes, and leave it as is?
Thanks for you patience,
Budfour


Grady Felder
answers:
Hi

Tar can be scraped away with a putty knife then cleaned up with paint thinner.

Probably too late but you can check the transformer by removing the 80 and operating the radio. If the transformer doesn't get hot it will still be ok.
answers:
Sorry, but my guess is that your power transformer is toast. When I bought my 60, I wasn't as fortunate as you...I knew the transformer was fried before I plugged it in (tar coated wires, burned out on/off, switch, 0 ohm readings on all windings). I ended up stuffing 3 new transformers (one power, two filament) inside the old transformer and choke cans. Rewinding your transformer is also an option.



answers:
Another option for removing tar is lighter fluid. Just make sure that you give it a final wash with denatured alcohol.


Jim
------
What disease did cured ham actually have?
answers:
Hi,
When you replace the transformer, make sure to recap the set. I had a Radiola 18, worked great until a filter cap shorted out. On my RCA 60, the transformer was missing upon purchase. I used a regular power transformer for the plate supply w/ the 5V winding for the 80, and the 6.3V winding for the 71A filament(w/ resistors to drop 6.3 down to 5V), then two separate 2.5V filament transformers in parallel for all those 27's...



answers:
I agree - you should have known better. The original problem was probably a very leaky filter cap. Follow the procedure Norm suggested. Your power transformer, though severely abused, may still be good. If so, replace the paper filter caps with new 'lytics. Do not attempt to play the radio again until you have followed these steps.



answers:
Thanks to All for your replys.I will pull the 80 and give it a try as Norm suggested.
If it doesn't get hot after a while,I Will Put the 80 back in and play it,if the heat returns what then?This has three large caps in rectangular boxes,not like ones I have changed before on later radios.I have a schematic but I am not very good at determining which to change out.
Budfour


Grady Felder
answers:
Be prepared to dig into those rectangular boxes! You will need a chisel and a hammer to bend the tabs that hold them in place. There are 3...one is the power transformer, one holds most of the filter capacitors (7 I think) and a choke. The third contains "reactor filters" or something like that...you shouldn't have to mess with it. The capacitor box has a fiber plate on the underside with about 10 terminals poking out. You will see the internal connections when you look at the schematic for the set. I parked mine in the oven for about 5 minutes and the whole blob came out. I repacked that box with new caps and two filament transformers.



answers:
I have a Radiola 60 and the power supply is all original. I don't play it 8 hours a day though. And I have a fuse in the B+ line. You can actually measure the voltages on the connector screws against the original specs, which will give you an idea of the sets operating condition. I believe there is a site that specializes in Radiolas where you can buy a copy of the original technical specs for the 60.



answers:
If you don't have a heat gun I would suggest getting one. It is great for melting that tar and getting to the transformers and caps. Also good for shrink tubing and stripping old finishes. I found one pretty cheap on ebay, has two heat settings and a bunch of accessories.


If it glows in the dark and heats up the house, it's MY kind of radio...
answers:
Thanks for your replies.Thanks to you folks,I would not have gone this far without your help.I have managed to get a few(6)of the 30 to 40 Table models in working order by changing out all of the caps,and any bad wiring.I have one RCA console that I got working by doing that.I refinished the cabinet on the RCA.I have the Radiola book that was mentioned.My thing is having a display of working early Radios for whoever is interested.As you can see my repair work is limited.
I removed the 80 tube as Norm suggested,after 40 minutes the trans.became hot,not hot enough to burn your finger,but pretty hot.After letting it cool down,I replaced the tube and played it for 30 minutes,it started to warm up,so I shut it down.It plays real good,all of the tubes look good,glowing with the lid open.My question is,and I know I will have to make the decision,with my limited experience,should I attempt to do further repairs or display it like it is.The cabinet is in all most perfect condition.I might add,trying to change out caps.in those cans sure looks like more of a challenge than what I have done.As for the Trans.even if I could find replacments,I would have to find out what is causing it to overheat,and replace those components,or chance ruining the new one.
Thanks Again, Budfour


Grady Felder
answers:
Hi

Here is something I didn't think of... Radiola 60 has two taps on primary of the power transformer. One for 110 & the other 120 volts input. Be sure it's set to 120 volts.
answers:
Thanks Norm,Yes I have left it on 120.


Grady Felder